Skip to main content

Windows 8 in the Corporate Environment


I personally made the investment and use 8.1 from my corporate workstation, though there isn't a current plan to roll out Windows 8.x to our end users. An Executive purchased a Surface tablet that we were tasked to support, and though we try to enforce a position of remote workers using company issued equipment, this is not yet corporate policy.  This has led me to encountering an end user who knew more about their OS than I, that is before I personally and professionally migrated to 8.x. I believe as IT professionals, we should always be one or two steps ahead of those who seek our leadership and support.

There is a preponderance of negative opinion regarding 8.x from those who have not really taken the time to first hand vet 8.x within their corporate environment. Some IT professionals are weighing in who presently have yet to make the jump from Windows XP on their own workstation.

I have become quite fond of 8.1, and more productive. Some of my IT colleagues went from poking fun at my early adoption, to now entertaining adopting it themselves after seeing how I put it to use. Here are a few of my own observations...

1). More Productive
a). I use three monitors connected to the same desktop. It feels like I work with three separate computers working in conjunction with one another. It shows in how I am able to produce (this could easily be another two paragraph discussion regarding Windows Snap and multiple monitor use).

2). Performance
a). Boots much faster.
b). Handles much better programs or drivers that lose their mind. (Typically with a somewhat more graceful reboot to a state with the offending program or driver uninstalled).

3). Modern UI
Yep, that which has been the bane to so many has been good for me. It enables you to group your programs in categories (like the 3rd party program 'Windows Fences').  All of my Administrator Tools are grouped, and with a simply right-click I can launch as a different user (namely my admin account).

4). Interface, Network Operability and Cultural Adoption

I agree, the interface and operability is a big jump from Windows X. If that's an issue one could simply configure 8.x to boot to the desktop instead of the Modern UI (as of Windows 8.1). Working from the 8.1 desktop is not such a big jump. Just right click on the Windows start button to perform such takes as searching (it can search simultaneously the desk and the Internet).

I would recommend that your IT department first adopt the product for two to three months (with ongoing active discussions regarding use and adoption) before committing to rolling it out to the masses.

There will probably be some items you will need to address within your environment. For instance, we currently use a script from SysVol to map network drives upon login.  Windows 8.1 delays scripts from SysVol to run for 5 minutes. At first, I thought 8.1 busted my drive mapping. This is by design, and actually discovered Microsoft preferred practice is to have drive mapping deployed via Group Policy. Also, out of the many of servers that I remote into, I noticed that one of them doesn't completely log me out properly, I would have to do so by resetting via a different account. For this one server in particular, I first remote into a different RDP server, then remote over to the server. It's the only Windows 2008 server in which I have an issue. I also had an issue were I upgraded a 6 year old laptop to Windows 8.0. Everything worked fine, as a matter of fact faster, but when I took it to 8.1, the wireless adapter no longer functioned and I couldn't find a driver for it.


One need only look no further than Windows Server 2012 (and the recently released Windows Server 2012 R2), to realize that Microsoft is fully committed in moving with the 8.x 'experience'. Though we might have until 2020 before extended support concludes for Windows 7, Microsoft has already stopped shipping Windows 7 and mainstream support ends January 2015.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"This content requires HDCP for playback" Apple TV fix

Perhaps you are having issues viewing Netflix, iTunes or any other streaming content via your Apple TV device? First, the short answer regarding the fix (in most cases)... 1). Leave your Apple TV device ON. 2). Turn OFF your TV for 10 seconds. 3). Turn ON your TV. 4). Now attempt to view the content on your Apple TV (hopefully without error). Behind the answer... Depending on the content being streamed, there is an authentication process that takes place when you request content. The user is usually oblivious of the this, that is until something goes wrong. HDCP stands for (H)igh bandwidth (D)igital (C)ontent (P)rotection. Even if you are only mildly interested in the 'what' of HDCP, I highly recommend checking out this simple yet concise and exhaustive explanation on Wikipedia, which can be found here... High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection - An Overview More specific information regarding the HDCP issue and Apple TV can be found here..

How to Get Free Internet - Home and MiFi

First I'll discuss an option which I currently use, then I'll list some of the uses I have gotten from the service... Free reliable national Internet service is offered by the company FreedomPop You pay for the device, then are allotted 500MB of bandwidth per month at no cost. FreedomPop offers both home and MiFi hotspot devices starting around $40.00 dollars.  National coverage is offered via FreedomPop's partnership with Sprint. If you need more bandwidth per month, they offer various options which range from earning extra bandwidth by way of signing up to partner promotions such as Netflix, to trading data via social networking.  You can also purchase more bandwidth by selecting any of their affordable monthly plans. They even offer rollover. I was able to ditch my monthly iPhone service plan once it was out of contract. I now pay nothing for mobile phone usage. I transferred my cell number to Google Voice, installed an app called Talkatone and wireless connect my

Cable to Convert VGA to HDMI, or Analog to Digital

The Answer : Even though they can be purchased online, the claim that an analog (VGA) to digital (HDMI or DVI) cable in and of itself performing such a conversion simply is not true. For example,  people run into this issue when they want to connect a laptop/desktop without an HDMI port to a digital monitor port with only a DVI port or a TV screen with an HDMI port. VGA to HDMI Cable I personally have had people not heed this advice, only to be seriously disappointed after having spent the money. There are instances where this cable will work... The VGA card in the device you are using (laptop/desktop) must be able to output a digital signal. This simply is not the case for most devices. When people are selling these cables from places like eBay, at times they may state this important piece of information in  very small print. So how do you get that device connected to your new digital TV or Monitor?  You have some options... 1). You can purchase a VGA